Job Title: R&D Chemist III
Pay: $70,000 - $73,000
Job Summary: The R&D Formulation Chemist III is responsible for assisting in the development of new products and improvement of existing products.
Essential Job Functions:
- Formulate new and/or improved product formulas, packages or manufacturing procedures in conjunction with guidelines established by the Marketing Department, International Department, or the Product Development Committee.
- Assist in the development testing requirements of all new formulas and packages.
- Ensure that assigned projects are executed in compliance with all regulatory guidelines.
- Conduct intellectual searches for technical or clinical information through a variety of resources.
- Keep the Section Manager, R&D abreast of the financial impact of formulating, sourcing or manufacturing issues related to assigned projects.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of timelines, resource allocations and budgets for projects assigned.
- Communicate, in a timely fashion, all information regarding formulation, project status, costing, results, etc. to all appropriate individuals, keeping in mind the confidentiality requirements.
- Document test results, specifications and procedures in a standard professional format for inclusion in the Drug Master File.
- Participate in the technology transfer from pilot scale to full-up production.
- Explore new technologies and materials that may have applications for product lines.
- Ensure that confidential procedures are strictly adhered to at all times.
- Write and/or review procedures, protocols, and specifications needed to support product development activities.
- Develop and present to the Section Manager, R & D matters requiring his/her decision.
- Keep abreast of current trends, practices, developments and regulatory changes, which would affect products, procedures, or packaging.
- Ensure the maintenance and/or adherence to good laboratory practices and all safety regulations.
- Strengthen the R & D Department by contributing innovative ideas, expertise, knowledge, high professional standards, team spirit and pride in the Company.
- Provide documentation on new product development projects (e.g., status reports, timelines, specifications, procedures, etc.).
Education and Experience:
B.S. in chemistry or related discipline; or equivalent in training and experience. M.S. is preferred.
3 - 5 years experience in a pharmaceutical or related healthcare industry.
Good general understanding and some experience in formulating common forms, such as lotions, ointments, creams, gels, liquid and balm products is required.
Skills and Abilities:
- Must be able to work independently on concurrent projects assigned.
- Must possess good research skills.
- Considerable interpersonal skills are required to interact with internal and external customers.
- Must possess good laboratory skills.
- A broad understanding of physical and chemical properties of chemicals, OSHA regulations, CGMP and GLP.
- A comprehensive knowledge of standard principles and practices in an R & D environment (manufacturing operations preferred).
- Must be able to understand and interpret MSDS reports.
- High degree of familiarity with and ability to use office machines and instruments within an R & D laboratory.
- Willingness to accept other duties, as assigned.
- Must be discreet with confidential information of which he/she has access.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft programs including Outlook, Word, Excel but not limited to.
- Must possess the ability to develop and maintain an effective working relationship with internal and external customers, functions as a team player, accept constructive criticism from management and comply with Company policies.